Microneedling in Singapore
Ensoul Microneedling Intensif Scar Reduction Treatment
The Ensoul Microneedling Intensif Scar Reduction Treatment is a minimally invasive medical aesthetic procedure. That uses micro needle fractional radiofrequency to treat acne scars, improve skin texture, reduce pore size and firm the skin via dermal collagen remodelling. Before we drill into details of micro needling, let us understand what causes acne scars and the different types of acne scars and how microneedling can help with the treatment.
Understanding the Types of Acne Scars
When the skin is wounded, the tissues break, which releases a protein called collagen. Collagen builds up where the tissue is damaged, helping to heal and strengthen the wound. There are two main types of acne scars – Atrophic Scars (caused by loss of tissue) and Hypertrophic Scars (caused by an excess of tissue). Within these categories, there are four subtypes of acne scars;
When it comes to acne scars, there are 3 types of atrophic scars known as ice pick, rolling and boxcar scars. These are scars that form when there is a loss of tissue. However, scars can also form when there is an overproduction of collagen to heal the skin, causing the scarring to rise above the skin surface, these are known as hypertrophic or keloid scars.
- Ice Pick Scars – deep, narrow scars that extend into the dermis caused by an infection from a cyst or deep inflamed blemish that destroyed the skin tissue.
- Boxcar Scars – round and oval depression with steep vertical sides, uneven and pitted skin. When an inflammatory breakout destroys collagen, the tissue is lost. The skin over this area is left without support, creating a depressed area.
- Rolling Scars – a wave-like indentations with sloped sides making the skin look uneven and craggy. It is developed when fibrous bands of tissue develop between the skin and subcutaneous tissue below. These bands pull the epidermis, binding it to deeper structures of the skin. This pulling of the epidermis from within creates the rolling appearance of the skin.
- Hypertrophic and Keloid Scars – are raised firm scars that grow above the skin's surface. It more often happens after a deep wound or trauma. Keloid Scars can continue to grow long after the original wound has healed. Unlike ice pick and boxcar scars, hypertrophic scars are caused by an overproduction of collagen. In the case of keloids, it's like the skin doesn't know that the wound has healed and continues to produce collagen.
How Does Ensoul Intensif Scar Reduction Treatment Work?
The Intensif RF Microneedling treatment is the first FDA cleared non-insulated motorised microneedle RF technology that uses tiny sterile needles to prick through the top layer of the skin to deliver radiofrequency (RF) energy. This creates micro-zones of coagulation in the papillary and reticular dermis with minimal damage to the epidermis. The micropuncture and RF energy stimulate fibroblasts to produce more new collagen and elastin fibres.
RF energy is delivered to both layers of the skin simultaneously, resulting in epidermal resurfacing and dermal stimulation for deeper remodelling. The RF micro needling technology device maintains a dermis temperature of 52°C while the temperature at the epidermis, the top layer of the skin, remains below 40°C. This controlled energy is delivered through a precise handpiece. The RF energy can be adjusted for different applications and treatment areas.
Radiofrequency energy is delivered to ablate the epidermis immediately around the electrodes and dermal treatment under the conductive pins simultaneously, producing superior results to fractional CO2 laser. The Intensif's high precision needle depth is adjustable, ranging from 0.5mm to 5mm, provides the most effective treatment strength suitable to the particular treatment area. Intensif treatments provide significant initial visible results, as well as continued skin improvement long after treatment completion, especially for acne, acne scars, stretch marks, deep wrinkles, and poor skin texture.
Doctor’s Advice & Recommendation
1) Before undergoing any treatment
Our doctors will first assess the condition of the patients' skin and identify the type of acne scars. Different skin types and acne scars require different treatments. A tailored approach, such as choosing the suitable treatment modalities and customising the power settings for the individual is required.
2) Once the treatment procedure has been established
Doctor will run through with the patient on what to expect during and after the micro needling treatment. Follow up by cleansing the face and applying topical numbing cream for approximately 45 minutes to help relieve any potential discomfort before the treatment.
3) After the numbing cream has been removed
The doctors will start the micro needling treatment and constantly adjust the device parameters to treat the different problem areas of the skin to ensure optimal skin remodelling. There may be minimal to zero discomfort during the treatment process. The procedure is safe as the skin temperature will be constantly monitored around 38°C to 40°C during the treatment. The treatment takes about 60 minutes, depending on the size of the treated area.
4) After the Intensif Scar Reduction Treatment has been completed
The therapist will begin to calm the skin with Dr. KT's Skin Revitalise Ultrasound Therapy. Through this procedure, molecules that would otherwise be difficult to transport through the skin are delivered transdermally at a concentration that improves scar reduction.
Most patients would see a reduction of acne scars and acne blemishes after the first session. Microneedling RF acne scar treatment also provides additional benefits, such as making the skin firmer and brighter. For more effective results, it is recommended to complete a series of treatments planned by the doctor. This program will be designed and adjusted according to the patients' progress following each session.
We usually add a no downtime Pico laser fractional treatment between the Intensif Scar Reduction Treatment sessions to harness the synergistic effect of the Pico Laser's Induced Optical Breakdown (LIOB) to reduce the depth of the acne scars further.